Sunday, September 8, 2013

Time to Reflect

This Wednesday will be the 12th anniversary of 9/11. For many, including myself, it is hard to believe that twelve years have passed since the attacks. I was an elementary school student when it happened, and I can remember watching the Towers fall on television like it was yesterday. I remember being in terrified. My dad was still fire chief at the time, and for whatever reason, my ten year old mind was convinced that my dad was going to have to go to New York and fight the fires. I think it was 9/11 when I truly realized that firefighters could die doing the job that I had been in awe of my entire life. Growing up, there was no greater hero to me than a firefighter. Images from Ground Zero were horrifying. So much destruction and loss. Seeing fire trucks destroyed like they were on scene was disturbing to me. I am pretty sure that I thought fire trucks were indestructible.

The aftermath was shock, despair, and heartache, but also a will and the strength to go on. I don't know any of the men and women that died in the attacks. But I know 343 FDNY firefighters died responding to the fire, many knowing that when they entered that they would not come out. More firefighters have died of illnesses/injuries related to the World Trade Center attacks, an issue that has been controversial at times in declaring it a line of duty death (LODD).

After all this time, it sometimes surprises me how often I have reflected on these attacks. I know that on Wednesday the news will be running programs remembering and commemorating the lives lost. I can't imagine how much pain the loved ones of the fallen feel. Although obviously the pain would be the most on the anniversary, many Americans only remember the attacks on that date but the families feel it everyday. It was an American loss. I may not have loss any blood family, but my firefighting family lost something that we never thought would happen.

343. Entire crews were gone, just like that. 343.

There were so many questions about it all, wondering what could have been done differently from the response. Would it have changed anything? We'll never know. But we will never forget. Even watching movies and television shows, subtle reminders can be present. A shot of that iconic New York skyline with those two towers standing tall. That simple image will never be recreated in reality. But we have our new reality now and a new normal with the One World Trade Center. One. We are one country and one nation united.

From my point of view, the One World Trade Center is important because it recognizes American strength. We were knocked down but stood back up. And there was no way in hell that we would ever forget.

As a firefighter, I believe that it is not just important but also necessary to recognize the magnitude of their sacrifice. The one thing that I know about firefighters is that we love our job. It doesn't matter if you are paid or volunteer, if you have one year in or twenty. Firefighters love this job. It is the best thing in the world. Best thing I ever did. I can't explain it. It's not an easy job. Really, it is exhausting. But it is just so awesome. And to forget the sacrifices of those who died from the attacks or forget any other brother or sister who died in the line of duty is just wrong. We can never forget. We don't dwell, we got to keep going because those tones are going to go off or that bell will ring and we got to get on the rig. We keep going and keep doing our job and by doing that we remember. We remembered what they loved and what they did. And to be honest, most firefighters would probably kick their crews' asses if they didn't keep going.

We train, we learn, we get better. It will always be a dangerous job. You have to respect that. Not respecting it is the biggest mistake. You watch your back, keep you and your crew safe. When we look at incidents that resulted in injury or death we need to learn from it. We can't change the past. We have to live with it. But we can try and make the future better.

This brotherhood is so strong.

A lot has changed since 9/11. The aftermath of the attacks has led to wars, more losses and pain. But you know what? There's another day I will never forget. I will never forget when it was announced that the son of a bitch bin Laden had been killed. I remember an image of a  handful of FDNY firefighters in their bunker coats, one had his arms raised as the words "BIN LADEN IS DEAD" scrolled across on a screen.

It's going to be okay. I hope that the families and the loved ones of those who died from the attacks and the War on Terror know that they won't be forgotten. It is always going to hurt. Someday, I will have to explain 9/11 to my own children and have those memories still vivid in my mind. But I just pray that my children will never have to experience anything similar.

Take care of each other.

Keep fire in your life. Stay safe.

No comments:

Post a Comment