Monday, September 2, 2013

My Goals for my firefighting career

One of the most important lessons for any firefighter is that training never ends. The day that a firefighter believes he no longer needs to train is the day that a firefighter should walk away.

Although I currently cannot attend training in person as much as I would like, there are other ways to keep up, although naturally these do not replace actually doing it. Just on my tablet where I write this post, I have resources at my fingertips. Mobile applications from firefighting magazines provides up to date content on a variety of topics. YouTube allows the sharing of videos, whether it be training or of past incidents. Of course, Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn is a way to interact with others and share information. With this blog, I hope to utilize these resources more and expand my knowledge.

My firefighting career may be strictly volunteer, but I can think of no greater honor or privilege than being a firefighter. I'm the lucky one.
Passing my FF1 was awesome. Since I passed that, I'm hoping to become Firefighter II certified in the near future. As well, I would like to obtain Pro-Board certifications in rescue. Eventually, I want to be a fire instructor. Throughout my firefighting career, there have been a few instructors that have had a lasting impact on me. They helped me keep going and succeed when I wanted to give up. I hope to help others like some instructors have helped me.

I know that I have a long way to go. But I am willing to learn and train. One of the best ways to keep myself sharp while I'm at school is working out. Now, I'm a 21 year old female and I'm only 5'2 to begin with. At first, I was hesitant about doing heavy lifting. However, after a couple weeks I was hooked and seeing results. I have found that different types of exercise like Cross fit and yoga all have their benefits to firefighting.

Nothing replaces actually putting the gear on and drilling. I miss it so much when I'm at school. But I've made do. If someone would've told me that I would have passed FFI a week after finishing the finals of my junior year of college, I would have laughed. A lot. But I guess you can do anything you put your mind.

That is the attitude I'm trying to take overall with firefighting. I hope to learn a lot from this blog. I hope to have interactions with my audience too. This will be the last introductory post. Next, I am planning on finding a good topic on an issue facing the fire service today.

Keep fire in your life. Stay safe.

No comments:

Post a Comment