Thursday, October 10, 2013

Brotherhood

Today, I experienced something that I was not sure how to take. I had to write an essay entitled "I am." So, I wrote that "I am A Firefighter." I ended part of the essay with how I felt belonging to a brotherhood. In my class, we had a writing workshop. The majority of the feedback was very positive; about the content and my writing style. However, there was one thing that I was unsettled to hear.

My professor told me that I could not belong to a brotherhood.

Why can I not belong to a brotherhood? Because I am female. Let me say something. I work very hard, at least I think I do, to be a firefighter. I know that because I am female that I will face some different challenges. I am small, even for a girl, but that is what got me into lifting weights which I absolutely love. I think I'm doing alright.

But let me tell you something else. This job doesn't care if you are male or female. More importantly, the fire doesn't care. It's firefighting for a reason. It is not an easy job. Truly, it is a fight. We need to properly prepare ourselves and get ready for that fight. It is up to you, as a person, to decide whether or not you will be prepared and up for it. It can be a challenge to get ready for that, but really, that's what makes it a brotherhood. We struggle together, we build each other up, we have each other's backs. You have to have your brother's back.

I tried to explain to my professor, that it is a brotherhood, I told him that you cannot have brotherhood without her. I told him that this is our culture. It is a brotherhood. I told him I don't care for the gender-specific, politically correct terms.

I am a sister who is part of a brotherhood.

For one, I'd like to point out that in my case, I think it is kind of stupid to specifically make the distinction of a sisterhood. Why separate it? We are one team. The argument of gender? No. The time for that has passed. That has no place.

I have learned a lot from my brothers and sisters. I am very grateful for them. One team.

The other issue I had with these comments, other than the fact I was being told by someone who had no presence in my culture (and admitted he had no idea the significant being a firefighter has had on me) that my thoughts/understanding of it were wrong?

I am part of a sisterhood. I am a sorority sister. How lucky am I? Not only do I have my brotherhood, but I have a sisterhood too. I think I know the distinction between the two. I know it is kind of odd, being a sorority girl and a firefighter. But I think I am pretty good at it. I love it with all of my heart. In some ways, the two can overlap. Both are very much value based and rooted in tradition.

In Greek life, people often say, "From the outside looking in, you can never understand it. From the inside looking out, you can never explain it." The same kind of goes for firefighting.

It probably confused my professor that I was so passionate in my defense over the term brotherhood. However, you would think that would perhaps help his understanding that it is, indeed, a brotherhood. Also, I am a writer, so I really don't understand why his attempts to censor my word choice in a personal essay. But, please, understand, I am perfectly fine with it being called a brotherhood.

In case you are wondering, here is one definition of brotherhood: an association, society, or community of people linked by a common interest, religion, or trade. 

Notice there is nothing in there about gender.


Also, I'm not taking the word brotherhood out of my essay. That would not be true to me or to my brotherhood. It would not be me.


I am kind of surprised at how much this bothered me, but I don't understand how someone who is not part of it can just blow it off and think they are right.


Proud sister of a brotherhood.


Keep fire in your life. Stay safe.


No comments:

Post a Comment